Environmentally Friendly Holidays
The beauty of the coastal landscape and surrounding mountains… the intoxication of clean air… the peaceful sound of waves lapping at the shore interrupted only by the sound of a heron call… walking all day without seeing a soul…
These are some of the comments received by people who have stayed at Leckmelm over the years. It is important to us that our natural heritage and landscape is preserved and we are glad to share this with visitors in a sustainable way. Leckmelm has achieved the Gold Standard for Environmental Management under the Green Tourism Business Scheme and we are constantly working towards providing a greener holiday cottage service each year – we welcome your suggestions so please email me with any.
How Your Holiday at Leckmelm Estate Helps the Environment
It may not seem apparent, but your holiday at Leckmelm really makes a difference to the local economy and environment in many ways:
- We are a small, locally run and owned business: we employ local people and provide 3 full time, three part time and many seasonal jobs.
- Profits made in the holiday cottage enterprise are either re-invested or used to support Estate projects such as the restoration of the Farm Buildings, Woodland Management, drystone wall conservation to name a few.
- In Winter 2001 we planted a 50 hectare native woodland above the existing commercial plantation. In 2005 we planted a futher 3000 native broadleaves in shelter belts.
- We try to use local suppliers for goods and services where possible to bolster the local economy, we encourage our guests to do so too.
- We avoid using harsh chemicals, phosphates and chlorine in our cleaning materials. We source environmentally-friendly products from Simple Green Environmental Solutions which we encourage all guests to use to protect watercourses.
- We aim to recycle as much of our waste as possible, we re-use scrap paper as office note pads and fax cover sheets, inkjet cartridges are donated to Ullapool Primary School for recycling, old furniture is given to Blythswood Charity Shop in Ullapool, second hand books are purchased from various charity shops which you are welcome to read while staying at the cottages.
- Please try to recycle your waste while you are here. We provide each cottage with a compost caddy which is then spread on the farm heap.
- All new electrical appliances are bought to the highest energy efficiency ratings, A or B to minimize energy consumption. All light bulbs, where feasible are energy efficient.
- We purchase all our energy from GOOD ENERGY 100% renewable energy.